This Is Not A Meat Market  

Monday, December 22, 2008

I have hit 25. In Indian girl world, this means that I am now of "marriageable" age. The rishtas (proposals) are going to start trickling in. Soon I will be deluged with requests. They will come from far and wide - from a network of concerned relatives, gossipy old ladies, and boys who cant get dates - all of whom have set their clocks to the exact time of when I enter the marriage market. They will be appropriately vetted by my parents before being passed on to me. I will be resistant at first, but I will soon oblige. The Indian marriage machinery is a formidable opponent.

The first proposal is already here. I am to meet a boy who will be visiting Manhattan to meet his sister. The three of us will go out on a date together. Me, the boy and his sister. Charming. I can totally imagine marrying this one.

When I told my mother that it was absurd to have his sister as a chaperone, she agreed. Emboldened, I suggested that I should take my sister too (she's just a year older and she's on the market too. Every night we swap war stories and cry.) My mother's horrified gasp traveled across the seven seas.

Ma (sternly): You cannot take an unmarried girl with you.
Me (wheedling): But why?
Ma (getting progressively sterner): What if he falls in love with her?
Me (triumphant): Perfect!
Ma (positively shaking with sternness): This is not a meat market. He cannot choose which one he wants. And comb your hair before meeting him.

This is going to be just dandy. I'll report back.

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

Email this post


2 comments: to “ This Is Not A Meat Market